Textile Discovery in the Rare Books Reading Room
Textiles at the British Library come in many guises. This remarkable book was discovered by a reader in the Rare Books Reading Room last week and was shown to a member of staff.
The shelfmark is C.70.g.6. and the textile additions are described in the notes field below:
- Title: [A series of engravings of subjects from the Life of Jesus Christ. Designed by M. de V. Engraved by J. C. Weigel.]
- Author: Marten de VOS
- Contributor: Johann Christoph WEIGEL
- Publication Details: [Nuremberg?, 1725?]
- Identifier: System number 003817622
- Notes: The draperies, etc. are cut out, and supplied by pieces of cloth and silk pasted at the back of the engravings.
- Physical Description: 4Âº.
- Shelfmark(s): General Reference Collection C.70.g.6.
- UIN: BLL01003817622
Engraving coloured from the reverse with pieces of textile showing through cut-out holes.
Engraving detail showing texture of textiles.
Reverse detail showing overlapping textile patches stuck to the page.
Our textile conservator Liz Rose is often overwhelmed by the quantity, quality and diversity of the textile objects within the collections. It should be remembered that the British Library is a reference library and many of these wonderful objects can be viewed in the library reading rooms.