18 October 2016
BL Labs Symposium (2016), Mon 7 Nov: book your place now!
Posted by Hana Lewis, BL Labs Project Officer.
The BL Labs team are pleased to announce that the fourth annual British Library Labs Symposium will be held on Monday 7th November, from 9:30 - 17:30 in the British Library Conference Centre, St Pancras. The event is FREE, although you must book a ticket in advance. Don't miss out!
The Symposium showcases innovative projects which use the British Library’s digital content, and provides a platform for development, networking and debate in the Digital Scholarship field.
This year, Dr Adam Farquhar, Head of Digital Scholarship at the British Library, will launch the Symposium. Professor Melissa Terras, Director of UCL Centre for Digital Humanities, will be presenting the keynote, entitled 'Unexpected repurposing: the British Library's Digital Collections and UCL teaching, research and infrastructure'. The keynote will focus on the British Library's digitised book collection - 60,000 volumes which are now in the public domain - and how those texts and images have been used with both students and researchers at UCL.
Following, Roly Keating, Chief Executive of the British Library, will present awards to the BL Labs Competition (2016) finalists. The annual BL Labs Competition looks for transformative project ideas which use the British Library’s digital collections and data in new and exciting ways. The Competition finalists will also give presentations on their winning projects.
After lunch, Stella Wisdom, Digital Curator at the British Library, will announce the winners of the Shakespeare Off the Map 2016 competition, which challenged budding designers to use British Library digital collections as inspiration in the creation of exciting interactive digital media.
The winners will then be announced of the BL Labs Awards (2016), which celebrates researchers, artists, educators and entrepreneurs from around the world who have made use of the British Library's digital content and data. Presentations will also be given by the winners in each of the Awards’ categories:
- BL Labs Research Award. Recognising a project or activity which shows the development of new knowledge, research methods or tools.
- BL Labs Artistic Award. Celebrating a creative or artistic endeavour which inspires, stimulates, amazes and provokes.
- BL Labs Commercial Award. Recognising work that delivers or develops commercial value in the context of new products, tools or services that build on, incorporate or enhance the British Library's digital content.
- BL Labs Teaching / Learning Award. Celebrating quality learning experiences created for learners of any age and ability that use the British Library's digital content.
- BL Labs Staff Award. Recognising an outstanding individual or team who have played a key role in innovative work with the British Library's digital collections.
The Symposium's endnote will be followed by a networking reception which will conclude the event, at which delegates and staff can mingle and network over a drink.
Tickets are going fast, so book your place for the Symposium today!
For any further information please contact email@example.com
*After the BL Labs Symposium is the evening event 'We Are Amused! A Night of Victorian Humour', taking place in the British Library Conference Centre from 19:00 - 21:00. Join Dr Bob Nicholson (Edge Hill University) and comedians Zoe Lyons, Bob Mills and Iszi Lawrence as they unearth thousands of old puns, sketches, one-liners and saucy songs from the 19th century. Cost: £12 (concessions available), buy your Victorian Humour tickets here.