12 April 2018
The 2018 BL Labs Awards: enter before midnight Thursday 11th October!
With six months to go before the submission deadline, we would like to announce the 2018 British Library Labs Awards!
The BL Labs Awards are a way of formally recognising outstanding and innovative work that has been created using the British Library’s digital collections and data.
Have you been working on a project that uses digitised material from the British Library's collections? If so, we'd like to encourage you to enter that project for an award in one of our categories.
This year, BL Labs is awarding prizes for a winner and a runner up in four key areas:
- Research - A project or activity which shows the development of new knowledge, research methods, or tools.
- Commercial - An activity that delivers or develops commercial value in the context of new products, tools, or services that build on, incorporate, or enhance the Library's digital content.
- Artistic - An artistic or creative endeavour which inspires, stimulates, amazes and provokes.
- Teaching / Learning - Quality learning experiences created for learners of any age and ability that use the Library's digital content.
BL Labs Awards 2018 Winners (Top-Left- Research Award Winner – A large-scale comparison of world music corpora with computational tools , Top-Right (Commercial Award Winner – Movable Type: The Card Game), Bottom-Left(Artistic Award Winner – Imaginary Cities) and Bottom-Right (Teaching / Learning Award Winner – Vittoria’s World of Stories)
There is also a Staff award which recognises a project completed by a staff member or team, with the winner and runner up being announced at the Symposium along with the other award winners.
The closing date for entering your work for the 2018 round of BL Labs Awards is midnight BST on Thursday 11th October (2018). Please submit your entry and/or help us spread the word to all interested and relevant parties over the next few months. This will ensure we have another year of fantastic digital-based projects highlighted by the Awards!
Read more about the Awards (FAQs, Terms & Conditions etc), practice your application with this text version, and then submit your entry online!
The entries will be shortlisted after the submission deadline (11/10/2018) has passed, and selected shortlisted entrants will be notified via email by midnight BST on Friday 26th October 2018.
A prize of £500 will be awarded to the winner and £100 to the runner up in each of the Awards categories at the BL Labs Symposium on 12th November 2018 at the British Library, St Pancras, London.
The talent of the BL Labs Awards winners and runners up from the last three years has resulted in a remarkable and varied collection of innovative projects. You can read about some of last year's Awards winners and runners up in our other blogs, links below:
- Research category Award (2017) winner: 'A large-scale comparison of world music corpora with computational tools', by Maria Panteli, Emmanouil Benetos and Simon Dixon. Centre for Digital Music, Queen Mary University of London
- Research category Award (2017) runner up: 'Samtla' by Dr Martyn Harris, Prof Dan Levene, Prof Mark Levene and Dr Dell Zhang
- Commercial Award (2017) winner: 'Movable Type: The Card Game' by Robin O'Keeffe
- Artistic Award (2017) winner: 'Imaginary Cities' by Michael Takeo Magruder
- Artistic Award (2017) runner up: 'Face Swap', by Tristan Roddis and Cogapp
- Teaching and Learning (2017) winner: 'Vittoria's World of Stories' by the pupils and staff of Vittoria Primary School, Islington
- Teaching and Learning (2017) runner up: 'Git Lit' by Jonathan Reeve
- Staff Award (2017) winner: 'Two Centuries of Indian Print' by Layli Uddin, Priyanka Basu, Tom Derrick, Megan O’Looney, Alia Carter, Nur Sobers khan, Laurence Roger and Nora McGregor
- Staff Award (2017) runner up: 'Putting Collection metadata on the map: Picturing Canada', by Philip Hatfield and Joan Francis
To act as a source of inspiration for future awards entrants, all entries submitted for awards in previous years can be browsed in our online Awards archive.
For any further information about BL Labs or our Awards, please contact us at [email protected].