28 April 2021
1Lib1Ref Wikidata Online Office Hours
We blogged recently about IFLA’s Wikidata and Wikibase Working Group's preparations for the next #1Lib1Ref campaign, which runs from 15th May to 5th June 2021. The Wikidata project page for this work is here, which includes resources, such as this Zine about Wikidata.
There is a recording of the Train-The-Trainers workshop run by Meg Wacha, which took place on Wednesday 21st April, now available to watch on YouTube and the slidedeck from this session is here. Meg's presentation gave a great overview on how librarians can run events in their libraries to contribute to Wikidata during the #1Lib1Ref campaign period. Useful urls mentioned in this session, include:
- Wikimedia movement affiliates (How to find your local Wikimedia chapter)
- Wikidata's Community portal
- Slides on how to set-up a dashboard for 1Lib1Ref on Wikidata
- Wikidata Professional Development Training Modules by Wiki Education
- Wikidata Tours (Shows how Wikidata works and teaches how to add data)
- The University of Edinburgh's Wikimedian in Residence webpages on Wikidata
As a follow on from the Train-The-Trainers workshop, the IFLA group are hosting a series of five upcoming Wikidata in #1Lib1Ref online office hours, these have been scheduled for different times in the day, to support participation from all parts of the world. These sessions aim to provide librarians with opportunities to discuss Wikidata work with international colleagues. See below for details of dates and times:
- Wednesday 5th May at 15:00 BST, 16:00 CEST/The Hague, 14:00 UTC
- Tuesday 11th May at 23:00 BST, 00:00 CEST /The Hague, 22:00 UTC
- Wednesday 19th May at 15:00 BST, 16:00 CEST/ The Hague, 14:00 UTC
- Wednesday 26th May at 07:00 BST, 08:00 CEST/The Hague, 06:00 UTC
- Tuesday 1st June at 23:00 BST, 00:00 CEST/The Hague, 22:00 UTC
To book to attend these #1Lib1Ref online office hours, please fill in this online form and you will be sent the Zoom link. If you have any questions about them, please contact Camille Francoise (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We also want to give a shout out to the LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group, who hold bi-weekly Affinity Group Calls, Wikidata Working Hours, Wikibase and WBStack Working Hours throughout the year. Finally, being librarians, we recommend checking out this Bibliography of Wikidata, a continuously updated list of books, academic conference presentations, peer-reviewed papers and other types of academic writing, which focus on Wikidata as their subject.