Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games
By Helena Byrne, Curator of Web Archives, The British Library
The Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games are taking place from July 28th to August 8th. There is also an extensive cultural programme running alongside the event till the end of September 2022.
The first Commonwealth Games was held in 1930 and the 2022 event is the twenty second edition of the competition. This is the sixth time that Britain has hosted the Commonwealth Games, Scotland have hosted it three times and including Birmingham 2022, England has hosted it three times. However, this is the second time that Britain has hosted this event since the formation of the UK Web Archive in 2005.
Sport collecting in the web archive
In late 2017, the UK Web Archive started to formally curate sports websites by establishing three main collections on sport. They are the Sports Collection, Sports: Football and Sports: International Events. The final collection in this series is Sports: International Events, documents major sporting events mostly hosted in the UK. It is in this collection that the Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014 and the Commonwealth Games Birmingham 2022 collections sit.
You can view the Glasgow 2014 collection here: https://www.webarchive.org.uk/en/ukwa/collection/22
You can view the Birmingham 2022 collection here: www.webarchive.org.uk/en/ukwa/collection/4228
The Birmingham 2022 collection overview
We’ve broken this collection down into six areas:
- Competitors: Athletes' websites and social media collected during the Games
- Cultural Programme: Any websites and social media accounts related to the cultural programme during the Games
- Organisational Bodies/Venues: UK national Commonwealth Games bodies' sites, local government sites etc.
- Press Media and Comment: News and comment, including the Commonwealth games, interest groups and others
- Sponsors: UK Websites and news articles relating to some of the official sponsors of the Games
- Sports: The Sports subsection has twenty subsections, all governing body websites and club websites related to these sports and the Commonwealth Games will be tagged under their relevant sport
The UK Web Archive works across the six UK legal Deposit Libraries and with other external partners to try and bridge gaps in our subject expertise. But we can’t curate the whole of the UK web on our own, we need your help to ensure that information, discussions and creative output related to the Commonwealth Games Birmingham 2022 are preserved for future generations.
Anyone can suggest UK published websites to be included in the UK Web Archive by filling in our nomination form.